Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The way to his heart.

One of my sweetest memories of primary school is coming home to find my mum making pikelets. She would be standing in our kitchen cooking them on the big electric frypan singing "I've got pikelets hot off the griddle" Hot, sweet pikelets dripping with butter and jam are the best afternoon tea a kid could ask for.

So, i decided to make pikelets with Harry yesterday. Our first venture into cooking together, i was a little unsure how this would go. He shook with excitement at the suggestion and eagerly hopped up onto the "big" chair to do some mixing. To my great suprise he actually followed my directions to "pour this in here" and "mix this together" without much drama. Though when my back was turned i did see him shove a whole handful of flour in his mouth! I even got out the big electric frypan to cook them just like my mum (doing them any other way didn't seem right!). I left Harry licking batter off the wooden spoon as i submerged the mixture in hot, sizzling butter. They were delicious! Harry and i sat at the table and nattered like two old ladies and munched and crunched the pikelets until they were all gone. It was a wonderful way to spend the afternoon together.




3 comments:

  1. That is my best childhood memory as well! That and making you eat prehistoric chocolate hahahahaah.... Every kid needs hot pikelets fresh off the griddle with melted butter and jam... mmmmmmmm and I LOVE these photos of Harry... he is the cutest thing EVER. Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are the cutest photos. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I baked cookies with Cass once, but she got banned from the table after sneakily shoving hand-fulls (and I mean hand-FULLS) of dough into her mouth when she thought I wasn't looking :)

    ReplyDelete